Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Antarctica Part I (The Arrival)

Click here for more Antarctica photos


Okay, it's really freakin' cold here! It's summer and the sun is up for most of the day, but the cold just stings!

The ocean temperature is 29 degrees and the land is covered in ice. And icebergs are everywhere, laughing at us. We coulda stayed in the northern hemisphere for this!

There are steep, vertical mountains along the shore but one can see the snow and ice layered over, yes, over the height of the mountains. I've known that the ice is thousands of feet deep here, but to see it! My god, it's awesome (as in fearful)! There's land along the shore line but the ice builds up and up and up into the distance.

And all of this water and ice radiates cold everywhere. It's colder in New York at the moment, but this just feels permanent (and, of course, it is).

I'm fascinated and thrilled to be here. I can't stay inside for missing the wildlife or the beautiful mountains of ice. But, I can't stay here and I'll be thrilled to leave and get wrapped back up in warmth!

Stay tuned for part II!

We are not alone! (Notice ship on left)
We had visitors from Palmer Station



Click here for more photos!

1 comment:

  1. So exciting! Glad to see the icebergs and snow are still there. Hi to Diane, Nancy, Ted, and all the penguins.

    ReplyDelete